Wednesday, May 21, 2008

My baby's eight!


Evie turned eight on May 19th! She had her party on Saturday and had a blast. She wanted a High School Musical theme so we hung red and white stars from the ceiling and blew up lots of balloons and cranked up the soundtrack. She invited a few friends from church and school and they had a great time playing silly games and being very, very loud. Halfway through these kind of home parties I'm say to myself, "What was I thinking?!"

Our plans are to baptize Evie once we get to Idaho in July. I wish we could do it sooner, but we aren't sure that Clark is going to make it down here to Texas before we need to be heading up to Idaho. I can't believe my baby is going to be getting baptized!

Some things about Evie:

She has her own fashion sense. She experiments with matching clothes, sometimes to my horror. I usually let her have free reign as much as I can stand. Lately she's taken to wearing glasses, even though she has perfect eyesight.


She's a great big sister. I don't know how many times I've heard Leila crying and have gone to find her only to find Evie already trying to comfort her. Crying really gets to her, and sometimes gives her little brother and sisters an unfair advantage over her. Anna especially is quick to turn on the water works to get her to play her game or give her a turn. I have to do some policing to make sure Evie doesn't get walked all over by her younger siblings.

She has the best laugh and a fun sense of humor. Granted, it's a second grader sense of humor, but when she gets the giggles over something you have to join in.

From the time she was born I've had strangers tell me she was a special spirit. All of her teachers from kindergarten on have commented on how sweet she is and how they look forward to seeing her sweet smile each day. I'm so blessed to be her mom, and to have her sweet spirit and beautiful smile in my life every day.

The time seems to be slipping away. I know she's not exactly going off to college yet, but I just can't see how the time has gone so quickly! The eighth birthday is a big deal! It's like the gateway between little kid and big kid. Am I going to feel like this every birthday or just the "big" ones?










10 comments:

Melinda H. said...

Happy Birthday Evie? Can you believe we have 8 year old children?

Michelle & Steve said...

It really is hard to believe that Evie is 8! It sounds like you had a great time celebrating though.

I also enjoyed the update on Clark...it sounds like he has had some great experiences despite being away for so long. Also, I'm just really glad that you are planning to go to Greece to meet up with him. You guys really deserve that!

Elissa said...

Wasn't it just yesterday that we were roomies at Ricks? I can't believe you have an 8 year old! It sounds like a fun birthday- I know exactly what you mean by the parties. I always say we won't have a big one again, but always do! She sounds like a great daughter, and I hope to get to meet all your kids someday!

Ellis said...

That was a great to hear more about Evie's personality.

Athack77 said...

Happy Birthday Evie! It just keeps getting better and better doesn't it! Evie sounds a lot like Chelsie! What a fun day!

Unknown said...

Since I am not a blogger myself, I don't check here too often. Wow, I need too! Very fun to see ya all in pics!

carlston said...

When I met you, Evie was just a baby and it seems like yesterday. I can remember her always being so sweet and kind. What an exciting time for you and her! Happy Birthday Evie... oh, and just for the record, a High School Musical birthday would have been the greatest party my boys "most favorite party in the world"!

Holly Sanders said...

wow! Those kids look so old! She looks a lot like you! Home b-day parties? I fear them myself! I'm hoping someday I will have enough money to pay someone to entertain a birthday party. Less work and less stress!

Russell & Jammie said...

I sure love you guys! Evie is such a QT!

Anonymous said...

perfect age mine was 8 our first time, took a bit to get it in her but that just got me even harder