Tuesday, May 13, 2008

Update on Clark


So many of you have asked about Clark, and I thank you for that. I actually asked him to write something for the blog--like a "what I've been up to" kind of post. But he opted for me to do it instead. I guess I shouldn't have given him that option!

From what I can tell, this has been a much easier deployment for him than the last one was. The two things that have helped out the most are a lot more port stops and finding some other officers who enjoy a good game of Settlers of Catan as much as he does. I think they play that game five nights out of the week! He works out every day--and that seems to help him keep from getting super depressed. Anyone who knows Clark very well knows he's not one to get depressed too easily, but the last deployment was rough, with hardly any port stops and not enough dentistry to keep him busy. It's hard not to get down when you are stuck in the same few tiny rooms and are away from your family for months on end. I often think that I really have the easier role. At least when I'm lonely or have had a hard day I have the kids to hug and it makes me feel better.

He has hit some really cool ports. Here's a list:

Souda Bay, Greece
Haifa, Israel (Jerusalem, Nazareth)
Mauritius
Reunion
Madagascar
Seychelles
Bahrain, United Arab Emirates

I think the coolest one by far was Israel. He got there over Easter weekend so it was amazing timing. He was able to tour around and see all the historical sites--the Mt. of Olives, The Garden of Gethsemane (the picture at the top is him in front of an olive tree there), the Jordon River, and so many more. It was amazing. He also found out that he had a great-great uncle who was one of the early missionaries who traveled to Haifa, Israel. He caught small pox and died and was buried there. His headstone was proof to the government that the Mormon church had been in Israel prior to WWII. Because of that proof, the church was able to establish a presence there and build the Jerusalem Center. Pretty neat, huh? Clark was able to track down his headstone and take some pictures and share them with his family.
Right now the plan is for Clark's replacement to get there mid-June while they are in port in Greece. As long as the plans stay the same, I am going to fly out to Greece and we're going to spend a week there before flying back to the states. (I hope it works out! I am sooo excited!) I'll fly back to Texas to pack up the kids and drive up to Idaho with my Dad the first week of July. Clark will go back to Norfolk and finish the paperwork he needs to do to separate from the Navy. He's officially separating on June 30th. After that he and his brother Russ (who is flying out from Boise) will pack up all of our stuff from storage and drive it cross-country to Idaho. I'll meet him there with the kids and we'll live happily ever after! That's the plan anyway. Not too much longer now. It's gone pretty quickly up until now. This last month is going to drag, I think!
Thank you for all of your concern and prayers! You don't know how much it means to me!

11 comments:

Dave and Holly said...

Thanks for the update! I have a brother-in-law moving to Moscow, Idaho to go to law school. Maybe on our way to visit him we can stop by and see you guys! We have no definite plans of when we are going to go see him, but hopefully before he graduates we will at least make it up there once.

carlston said...

Wow!!! Israel at Easter... pretty incredible. His stops have got to make it somewhat worth it! I hope Greece works out - it is so deserved for you two! Good luck with the next few weeks!

Holly Sanders said...

That is pretty cool about his relative! I'm excite for you guys! Happily ever after and no student loans right?

Ash and Becky said...

We can't wait for you guys to get here! Do you know where you are going to live yet? There is a house right around the corner from us that just when up for sale. It is the model that we were telling Clark that we wanted to buy when we bought our house but it was just too big for us since we only had one kid at the time...but with your four kids it would be perfect size and not too expensive! Give me a call if you need any help!

Angela and Bryan said...

Wow! I learned a lot from this post, and I talk to you every other day! I knew Clark's uncle was buried in Greece, but I didn't realize the connection with the church. Also, you can tell Clark that he can be forever thankful to us for introducing him to Settler's of Catan. 8-)

Athack77 said...

Israel, I'm so jealuos! I don;t have many places I'd love to go but Israel is one for me. That's wonderful you're going to meet Clark in Greece. What a fun trip for both of you. Drop me a line when you're in Idaho. Kathy is in Twin Falls so we all need to see each other this summer. I hope everything goes well in your transition time. Love ya!

Angela said...

Beth, you're an awesome wife and mother to be so positive and strong through all of this. I'm excited for you to be together again! So will you be moving to Boise? That's where we're from-great place!

Beth said...

Thanks for all the comments, guys! To respond to a few:

Holly K-You and Dave should stop by whenever you make it to Idaho. Email me! That would be fun!

Holly S-I wish we were completely loan free, but no such luck! Oh well, we aren't so far in the hole as all the rest of you guys. (You know I'm joking!)

Becky-We don't have a place to live yet. I'm looking into rentals and then we'll look to buy once we get out there. I might email you with some questions about your area, though, if that's okay! We'll have to check it out!

Angela H-I think Clark will be forever grateful to you guys for introducing him to Settlers. He can't get enough of it, apparently!

Amy-I didn't remember that Kathy is in Twin Falls. We should have a reunion! That would be so fun! We should have one with all the kids and husbands and everyone, and one with just us girls too!

Angela S-We are going looking for a house in Meridian (near Clark's brother and his wife), but Clark will be working in Boise at Willow Tree Dental. I've only ever visited, but it seems like a great place to raise a family.

Julianne said...

What a fun update. Sounds like Clark is doing good, can you believe it's already almost June? Time flies when you're busy with the kids! Jeffrey was in Greece a couple weeks ago, I wish I could have gone! I'm so excited for you both and all the adventures that you are about to have. You really are a strong and positive person, thanks so much for your example!

Karen said...

So great to hear how Clark has been and what he's been up to. I let Zack read the post and he says to tell you hello. We miss you guys! If either of you need a place to stay on your drive to Idaho...PLEASE come stay with us. We'd LOVE to see you. Good luck with this last month and have an incredible time in Greece. I'm so jealous!

Melinda H. said...

You are defintetly an awesome wife. I don't think I could put up with Greg being gone so much. And you are not one of those wifes that can't handle them being home once they get back. It seems you just start right where you left off. Do you get what I am saying? Anyway, one of my good friends here in AK moved to Alabama to live with her parents because her husband is deployed to Greece. He is an mechanic in the Air Force. She is also going to visit him this summer. If you end up going I will get his info and you'll have to meet him. He is so awesome and he might have some fun places to tell you to visit. He is LDS and says he has to have church by himself because he can't find any other members. Good luck with all that's going to happen and I am so happy that Clark is almost done!