Friday, March 13, 2009

Clark's New Hobby

For Christmas Clark got a glass grinder from his Grandpa. What is a glass grinder and what do you use it for, you might ask. Well, it's pretty much what it sounds like, and you use it to help shape pieces of glass for a stained glass project. Clark's Grandpa was great at stained glass, and Clark has recently decided to pick up the torch. Once he got the grinder he picked up a few more tools, took a class, and now just finished his third project. I'm seriously amazed at how quickly he's progressing. I think it's because his profession involves such precise use of his hands.

He designed this piece from scratch and made it in just a couple of weeks (but he was pretty much obsessed with it for those two weeks!)

For those of you who don't know, Clark bought a yellow '77 Corvette Stingray a few months ago. He adores it, so it made a fitting subject for his stained glass piece. No wussy stained glass flowers or butterflies for Clark.

7 comments:

Bonnie Mills said...

Wow, that's awesome Clark! Looks good!

Anonymous said...

Wow! What are you gonna do with it? I can't belive the little srands of grass! It seems like it would be incredibly difficult!

Karen said...

Groovy Dr. Elkins! I was so impressed that I had to show Zack. I can't tell you what Zack said...not clean enough for the blog. It was definitely positive feed back though. ;)

Nielsen Family said...

Wow, that is amazing! What a cool hobby & talent!

Melinda H. said...

Clark always has some great hobby going on...and he bought a stinray?! I am so jealous. I always told Greg I wanted one of those. That's some great talent.

Natalie said...

It's great to see Grandpa Richards tools go to good use. Aaron got a hammer, I use it to hang pictures - I know it's not as cool as a stingray stained glass piece, but I think all the artistic talent skipped over the Craig Elkins family anyway.

Cannon Fam said...

That's really cool! My mom did stained glass as a hobby when I was younger & I remember how hard it was! Way to go, Clark!