So now that we have less than a year to go before we leave Virginia, the time has come to figure out exactly what our plans are. I've had many people asking where we are going, but I haven't been able to answer as yet. Clark's three year commitment to the Navy ends in June, and although they tried to get Clark to stay in by promising him that they'd assign him to the dental clinic in Clark's hometown of Fallon, Nevada, we decided that our time in the Navy will not continue past June. If Clark decided to stay in he'd have to take a two year assignment to Fallon, and although it would be nice in many ways, the military is pretty famous for making promises to get you to stay in and then doing whatever they want with you (as in, "Oh, it's very unlikely you'll ever be assigned to a ship. Only the guys who really want to be on ships do that. Bwaa ha ha ha!")
So with that decision behind us, we now just need to decide where we are going and what we are doing. No biggie, right? The main thing that is making this very difficult is that Clark's ship is deploying mid-February for a 6-7 month deployment. For him it will be a four month deployment since they will need to fly him home early so that he can separate in June. The lease on our house is also up in June. So we need to have all our job and housing arrangements squared away by February when Clark will become reachable only by email. We have some possibilities--and Clark has started looking at all of his options. Opening up his own practice or buying into one wouldn't really be an option at this point. He's started looking in the Boise area a bit and also in Reno. We're hoping to find someplace that will be willing to sign him up before he leaves so we aren't scrambling once he gets home in June!
So that was kind of long! I guess that's why it's so hard for me to answer the, "Do you know where you are going?" question. The short answer is, "Nope, not yet." I'm excited that the whole Navy experience will be coming to a close. There have been some great perks, but all in all, it's been pretty tough on Clark and the family. We've been blessed with a really great, supportive church ward and some really good friends that I'm sure we'll keep forever! Thanks to all of you long-distance friends and family who have thought of us and kept us in your prayers! We really have been blessed. And if you know of any really great dental opportunities out West that you think would be worth looking into shoot Clark or me and email!
9 comments:
funny you should say that. We are in the same boat. We've been thinking about this for 4 years now, and we just can't seem to make a decision. We have thought about Colorado Springs, but since comfort is taking over the whole state of colorado, and OWen really doesn't want to work for comfort--so I don't see us moving there. Our other thought is Medford Oregon. That's on our minds right now, but it really is so stressful isn't it. There are jst so many great places to live, I"m afraid I'll pic the wrong place. As much as we want to go West, we've actually thought about williamsburg Va area. We love it down there! How do you guys like it there in Va Beach? We'll have to talk. Good luck!
Williamsburg, really? That would be awesome. It's beautiful. And I really like where we are in Virginia Beach too. You are welcome to visit anytime to check it out--and Williamsburg isn't too far away. Yep, we'll have to talk.
we really struggled w/ the decision of where to settle long-term. that's why we did the residency in utah. but we are really loving colorado and comfort dental... you should come check it out! The money is really good too. good luck w/ the decision! It's great once you decide and there are so many places out west that are great to live, I'm sure you'll find one.
Hi Beth...its Katie Harris. Brad and I were starting dental school your last year and we are from Texas too...I loved reading your blog and catching up! I am so excited about Clark being on Wheel of Fortune...I feel like we know someone famous! (shows what a hick I am) That is pretty awesome. I am glad you guys are almost done with the Navy...I can imagine it is very hard to have your spouse gone for so long! I wish you luck with figuring out where to go...you will make the right decision...it always ends up that way I think. Stressful as it is! Well again it was fun to read about your family and see what you guys have been up to!
Beth, I know you are both secretly planning on coming to Colorado and being our next door neighbors!! Comfort Dental or at least Colorado is the only place you will be happy!!! ;)
Don't worry...Clark will win enough money on WOF that you won't have to make money...you can just give away dental care for free!!
Clark and Beth,
Am trying this out. Thanks for your guidance Beth as to what to do in order to respond to your Blog. Clark I'm excited for you being chosen to be on Wheel of Fortune. Clark I sent you an e-mail today to your yahoo address so i hope you get it. Are the kids excited about halloween ?
Richard
Richard, I'm glad to see you on here! Clark said he did get your email today. Thanks! We are all very very excited about Halloween. Hopefully I'll get some cute pictures of the kids in their costumes to put on the blog. :)
Oh Beth, just stay here! We love you & the thought of you moving makes me just sad!
Post a Comment